Monday, April 12, 2010

From BTQ PDQ

For those that are acronym challenged, the title means from Billions to Trillions to Quadrillions Pretty Damn Quick.

I must admit that I am part of the problem. I am a derivatives trader. Rather than buy real gold like the guys on TV, I buy and sell GLD. GLD is an Exchange Traded Fund which is nothing more than a proxy for the price of gold slightly discounted for expenses. A derivative is anything that you can speculate on that is a "proxy" for the real thing.

The great thing about derivatives is that you can leverage them up 10X, 100X, 1000X if you wanted to. So I could sell 100X more GLD contracts than I have gold in my vault to cover the contracts. This is allowed because your derivative contract is a financial claim on the gold but it is not a physical claim. In the event everyone tries to lay claim all at once, I simply default. If everyone tries to sell their contracts all at once, the price goes to zero.

In the end, I still have your money and you got nothing.

I was deeply concerned about total, global derivative contracts about this time last year when I published this post. But things have gotten much better as total exposure has dropped from $1.4Quadrillion to just over $1.0Quadrillion.


Remember when a billion was a lot. Remember how easy it became to start saying a trillion?

Math note: A Quadrillion is 1,000 trillions.


Now I present you with a similar table that has been updated since my last post. Please keep in mind that 100% default on all derivatives is very unlikely. However, what if 10% went bad?






No comments:

Post a Comment