Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Downside of Hope

Did you ever consider the linkage between "need" and "hope". If you have everything you need, is there anything to hope for?

I would like peace, justice and freedom in the world. This is a want not a need for me. So some of my hopes are "wants" not "needs". I have been perfectly happy in my little world without world peace, justice and freedom because I already enjoy these things. The point is that "needs" are different than "wants".

So, if you are needy and you can't satisfy your needs you must rely on hope.

If I give you hope then you have given me power. If I am to retain that power I must ensure that you are both hopeful and needy. The minute your needs begin to get satisfied your dependence on hope for that need diminishes. And with it, my power.

I heard two things on TV recently. In the first, a commentator asked a person, "Why did you vote for this guy- he hasn't done anything to really help you". The person on the street answered, "Yes but he gives me hope". Wow. Hope is cheap; you can give that away all day.

This led me to recall the second sound bite... "keep hope alive". What a great slogan. It makes you feel good and makes money for the author. It is hard work to keep people both hopeful and needy for an extended period of time. But if I can come up with a rallying cry that causes you to keep yourself hopeful and needy-- I've got it made.

So, I am hoping that you have read this and will send it others. If I can instill some hope in you that the next posting will be even better; maybe I can make some money through Google Sponsored Links.

1 comment:

  1. Especially interesting in (tail)light of the 2008 Presidential election.

    ReplyDelete